The CFO’s role is dramatically changing at many organizations, with duties going beyond the traditional tasks of overseeing the finance,accounts payable management, treasury and risk management functions. As organizations call upon CFOs to play larger roles in business strategy and organizational leadership, analytics tools will be vital for connecting strategy to finance and accounting, according to an article on CFO.com.
Spurring dialogue on this topic is “The Role and Expectations of a CFO,” a new discussion paper from the International Federation of Accountants. The report notes five key ways that CFOs serve organizations:
- Providing leadership and vision for the organization, in concert with other senior managers
- Leading finance and accounting departments and projects, including accounts payable management
- Balancing the needs of the enterprise and conserving organizational resources
- Having the ability to integrate and navigate throughout the organization
- Modeling overall professionalism
The report stresses that CFOs need to do more than provide data; they must also transform financial data into actionable insights that reflect the internal and external realities of the business environment.
To meet this challenge, CFOs need a robust analytics platform. The analytics tools need to be powerful enough to integrate hundreds of enterprise information sources and then present the information in meaningful, user-friendly dashboards and reports. With the right software, it’s relatively simple for finance leadership to present enterprise data in compelling and actionable reports, providing management with tools for spotting trends and analyzing performance.
As the CFO’s role continues to evolve, analytics will likely play a crucial role in helping to connect business strategy and finance data.
We’d appreciate your feedback. Do you see this shift toward more strategic roles for CFOs as a positive development or a potential hazard? Share your thoughts below in the comments section!
- What Should Companies Look For in an Expense Management System?
- Life After the Laptop Ban: Could you Survive a Business Trip with Just a Mobile Phone?
- Less Appy, More Happy: How the Mobile Web Can Lead to Easier Expense Management
- How Improving your Travel and Expense Policy Can Help Retain your Best Staff
- Expense Reimbursement, I’d Like You to Meet the Real World…
We love you guys! Everything is going great.
Wow! This Chrome River is great. Word has spread [in our firm] and people that were not invited to be in the pilot group rollout have asked to be included!