Many organizations find that travel expense claims are a prime target for internal fraud, from altered receipts to personal charges disguised as business expenses. A new survey by AirPlus shows that companies are using a variety of methods to combat fraudulent expense claims, according to Business Travel News.
Here are four common ways that travel managers try to prevent and reduce fraud, plus a fifth tip for tying these strategies together.
- Supervisor approval for all expense claims (81 percent). According to the AirPlus survey, which reached out to 180 companies in North America, 81 percent of the respondents say their company requires manager approval for all expense reports.
- Documentation for all expenses (66 percent). AirPlus found that 66 percent of respondents said their employer requires receipts for all expenses claimed.
- Using corporate credit cards (59 percent). More than half of respondents said the use of a corporate credit card was mandated and monitored.
- Consistent auditing of expense claims (52 percent). Regular monitoring was found to be the most effective method for preventing fraud.
Each of these strategies has the potential to reduce fraudulent expense claims. Attempting to implement these best practices individually, however, would require significant investments of time and resources and produce a large amount of data. For such fraud prevention measures to be useful, cost-effective and consistent, it’s important to add a fifth strategy that helps weave everything together.
- An automated travel expense management platform. With software like Chrome River EXPENSE, travel managers can integrate the previous four strategies with powerful analytics to uncover suspicious expense claims and identify errors and trends that suggest fraud.
Because travel expense claims may present an attractive target for fraud, organizations need efficient, streamlined ways to process expense reports. Travel expense management software can help managers reduce fraud while also reducing paperwork.
We appreciate hearing from our readers! Which of these five strategies would you say is most important, and why? Please share your thoughts below in the comments section.
- When Cash (Control) is King: Is Your Accounts Payable Strategy Optimized for a COVID-19 World?
- Getting the Most Out of Your Spend Data with Emburse Insight Advisor
- How We Did It: Supporting Front Line Healthcare Workers During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Managing Traveler Safety in a Post-Coronavirus World
- Controlling Car Rental Spend With Car FOLIO
Our choice of Chrome River EXPENSE was made in part due to the very user-friendly interface, easy configurability, and the clear commitment to impactful customer service – all aspects in which Chrome River was the clear winner. While Chrome River is not as large as some of the other vendors we considered, we found that to be a benefit and our due diligence showed that it could support us as well as any large players in the space, along with a personalized level of customer care.
We are excited to be able to enforce much more stringent compliance to our expense guidelines and significantly enhance our expense reporting and analytics. By automating these processes, we will be able to free up AP time formerly spent on manual administrative tasks, and enhance the role by being much more strategic.