Consider the business books of yesteryear: Many of the titles will make you wince — if you remember them at all. In general, management gurus’ trendy concepts and buzzwords don’t age well, according to EPM Channel, a website focused on enterprise performance management news and insights. Even in accounts payable management, fads come and go. As more organizations jump on the “big data” bandwagon, are analytics initiatives just another example of management hype?
As a management tool, analytics have long-term prospects, according to EPM. Here are three reasons analytics are here to stay:
- Staying competitive means looking past obvious improvements. A successful organization is always taking steps to streamline inefficient processes and reduce obvious waste. As a result, companies need to dig deeper for ways to get an edge on the competition, and analytics provides accounts payable management with the necessary transparency and tools to keep improving data presentation.
- Increased complexity and less room for error. As organizations face rapid changes both internally and in the global marketplace, even the best managers need to rely on data, not intuition, to guide their decisions. In the past, companies could make mistakes and keep going, but that margin of error is shrinking. The stakes in decision-making are rising in the era of lean operations and global competition.
- The technology is available. As computing power and data storage grow more robust and affordable, software like Chrome River ANALYTICS can unlock insights and predictions in unprecedented detail. If your organization doesn’t take advantage of it, others certainly will.
Management goes through fads, and accounts payable management is hardly immune to them. The EPM Channel article makes a compelling case for the long-term value of “big data” projects and analytics technology.
We’d like to hear from you. Which aspects of “big data” do you see as hype, and which offer significant value? Share your thoughts below in the comments section!
- Beyond Bookings: What’s the Total Cost of Ownership for your Corporate Travel Program?
- Specialist Expense Vendors vs. ERP Suite Modules: Pros and Cons
- New Gartner Market Guide: Key Criteria for Travel Expense Management Solutions
- 7 Steps to Expense Submission Nirvana - Making Life Easy for Your Business Travelers
- What Should Companies Look For in an Expense Management System?
We love you guys! Everything is going great.
Wow! This Chrome River is great. Word has spread [in our firm] and people that were not invited to be in the pilot group rollout have asked to be included!