The world’s biggest companies are eager to boost bottom lines by outsourcing such finance and accounting functions as invoice management, an article on AccountingToday.com reports. So far, however, relatively few have seized these opportunities for cost savings, improved efficiency and analytical insights.
A new report by KPMG, “State of the Outsourcing Industry 2013,” surveyed 1,355 leaders and advisors in global business and outsourcing. Roughly 40 percent of global organizations say they plan to outsource more accounting and finance functions in 2013. However, only about half of that number currently relies on outsourcing for these tasks: 23 percent for accounts payable and 19 percent for purchasing and receivables.
Outsourcing business processes is among the most effective ways to cut costs, streamline operations and uncover analytical insights. For example, let’s consider four benefits of SaaS invoice management software.
- No more paper-pushing. An automated invoice processing service can replace most invoices with faxed, emailed or electronic documents, eliminating time-consuming data entry. A scanning service can convert any remaining paper invoices to electronic images.
- Cut processing costs. Outsourcing accounts payable management improves efficiency and frees your staff from menial tasks, allowing them to focus on revenue-generating activities.
- Improve accuracy and compliance. AP automation eliminates most data-entry errors, helping staff spot mistakes like overpayments and duplicate payments. Such a system can also be configured to flag noncompliant business expense reports for additional review.
- Identify and capture discounts for paying vendors early. Improved spending visibility helps managers capture savings through preferred vendor relationships and track spending trends across cost centers and departments.
Invoice management from a SaaS provider is just one example of how organizations can streamline accounts payable automation. While many companies are lagging when it comes to outsourcing finance and accounting tasks, early adopters are discovering new ways to cut costs, simplify operations and develop analytical insights.
As always, we appreciate your feedback. What do you see as the advantages and disadvantages of outsourcing business processes? Which tasks do you find best suited to a SaaS solution?
- A Case Study: CSG International Saves 20–40 Hours Per Month After Switching Over
- The Future of Travel Part 2: Five Predictions for Post-Covid Business Travel And Expense Management
- The Future of Travel Part 1: Five Findings That Prove Business Travel is Here to Stay
- Elsevier: Overcoming Global Finance Complexities
- Why Mobility is a Critical Consideration for Your Expense Management Strategy
Our choice of Chrome River EXPENSE was made in part due to the very user-friendly interface, easy configurability, and the clear commitment to impactful customer service – all aspects in which Chrome River was the clear winner. While Chrome River is not as large as some of the other vendors we considered, we found that to be a benefit and our due diligence showed that it could support us as well as any large players in the space, along with a personalized level of customer care.
We are excited to be able to enforce much more stringent compliance to our expense guidelines and significantly enhance our expense reporting and analytics. By automating these processes, we will be able to free up AP time formerly spent on manual administrative tasks, and enhance the role by being much more strategic.